For the last month at Spirit of Joy! Lutheran Church, we have been talking about joy – what joy means, where it comes from, and how we experience.
Last Sunday, we talked there are times when it is hard to find joy – times when life is hard, or maybe we just have a bad day.
As a part of Growing In Faith Together (our intergenerational education hour) we made “Joy Jars” for just such days. This is a great project for any age group – our group ranged from 6 months old to 80+ years old.
- A jar (we used plastic storage containers from a discount store, but anything will work that has an opening large enough to reach into)
- Squares of paper in 3 different colors
- Supplies for writing and decorating
On the three colored pieces of paper, we wrote things that give us joy
- On one color piece of paper, write memories that make you happy when you think about them.
- On a second color of paper, write Bible verses or stories that make you happy or give you strength.
- On a third color of paper, write activities that give you joy.